Sunday, December 5, 2010

Under Pressure...

But who isn't.  As if December isn't busy enough, I decided to get some much needed canning done.  I have never used a pressure canner before, so my WONDERFUL, AMAZING, PATIENT mother came to help me.  I took a whole 2 1/2 days off (minus conference calls) to play with this contraption.
Green Beans:  Fairly easy and took only 20 minutes to process.
Pinto Beans:  Easy to seperate and season but took 90 minutes per batch. AND I had a whole batch that didn't seal.  Kinda frustrating but neighbors and family were good sports to take them off my hands.  They were yummy and I did some as BBQ baked beans.  By far the favorite!
Deer Meat:  Again 90 minutes to process, and I was a bit nervous.  I'm not a huge fan of deer, elk, any game meat really, but I'll try anything once!  So I canned it with beef broth and YUM!  It tastes exactly like shredded beef.  The best part is that I put it in the freezer after the Man cut it up and was able to can it when I decided.
I decided to make a whole meal from my latest adventure.  So here it is: 
BBQ Meat
Baked Beans
Green Beans
Rolls (store-bought, I ran out of time)


No comments:

Post a Comment