This casserole came out of necessity one year when we were desperately trying to find a new way to eat yellow squash from our garden.
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken, cut into cubes before cooking
1 cup chopped onion
1 can green chiles
2-3 yellow squash
3 cups cooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese
1. Heat 1 Tbsp butter in skillet. Add cut up chicken and onion. Brown.
2. Add green chiles and cover. Simmer for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Slice squash, cut large diameter pieces in half or fourths.
4. Add to chicken/chile mixture and let steam for 3-5 minutes.
5. Mix cream of mushroom soup and milk.
6. Put cooked rice into 9x13 pan and top with cream of mushroom mixture.
7. Place ingredients in skillet over that layer.
8. Top with cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes.